GEOLOGY AND PALEONTOLOGY RESOURCES
- United States Geological Survey
- USGS Geology Information USGS
- USGS Library - Reston Branch
- Earth Science and Geology Links Illinois State Geological Survey
- Online Resources for Earth Scientists ORES
- Online Resources for Earth Scientists ORES
- General Geology Resources ORES
- Ultimate Links Page - Earth Science Resources
- The Virtual Earth
- The Soft Earth
- Directory of Geoscience Departments University of South Dakota
- The Virtual Geoscience Professor University of Houston
- Geoscience Resources on the Web UH
- University Geology Courses (arranged by subject) UH
- University Geology Courses (arranged by university) UH
- Geoscience Teaching and Learning Centers UH
- Rockhounds Information Page Many geological links
- A Geologist's Lifetime Field List University of Cincinnati
- Geological Society of America
- British Geological Survey
Geological Educational Resources
- American Geological Institute (AGI) Variety of publications and information on careers in geoscience.
- Ask-A-Geologist U.S. Geological Survey. Students and teachers can have their questions about earth science topics answered through the World Wide Web or through e-mail. Questions will be routed to the geologist of the day. Replies will be within 1 to 2 days.
- AskERIC Educational Resources Information Center. A clearing house of educational materials, including earth science lesson plans for K-12.
- Association of American State Geologists Lists of educational resources from other states.
- Center for Chemical Education Miami University. K-12 Science and Math information for teachers and students.
- Cleveland Museum of Natural History Explore what this museum and its Science Resource Center has to offer.
- Cincinnati Museum of Natural History and Science Check out this educational blast to the past.
- Center of Science and Industry Two locations, Columbus, Ohio, and Toledo, Ohio.
- Eisenhower National Clearinghouse Information source for K-12 science and mathematics.
- Federal Energy Technology Center Variety of information and publications on national energy and environmental problems.
- GEOBYTE, American Association of Petroleum Geologists Variety of publications and information on careers in geoscience.
- Geological Society of America Variety of publications and information on careers in geoscience.
- Great Lakes Science Center Cleveland, Ohio, Hands-on Science, technology, and Great Lakes environment.
- Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission
- Inventure Place Akron, Ohio. "Discover the inventor in you." National Inventors Hall of Fame.
- Kentucky Geological Survey Has a series of web pages devoted to K-12 earth science educational resources and activities.
- National Aeronautic and Space Administration Lots of educational programs and great pictures.
- National Energy Foundation Educational materials and programs related to energy, natural resources, and the environment.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Access to the National Weather Service and weather maps.
- National Science Teachers Association Offers various publications and information to teachers regarding stimulation, improvement, and coordination of science teaching and learning.
- National Wildlife Foundation Lots of fun stuff for kids.
- NEWTON Argonne National Laboratory. Variety of information for science teachers and students at any level. Teachers can retrieve ideas for classroom demonstrations, field trips, and on-line conferences, along with using the "Ask a Scientist" feature in which researchers post answers to specific questions.
- Ohio Academy of Science
- Ohio Public Library Information Network Lots of information and fun things for kids of all ages.
- Ohio Oil and Gas Association
- U.S. Department of Education Information for parents and teachers regarding the federal government's activities concerning private and public schools.
- U.S. Department of Energy Energy educational materials.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Information on publications and programs.
- U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency Provides various publications on natural disasters and how to prepare for them.
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Information on endangered species and much more.
- U.S. Geological Survey Variety of information relating to geology and biology in the United States. Three of the multitude of USGS sites offer vast information to teachers.
Environmental Geology Resources
- Earth and Environmental Science Internet Resources USGS
- Environmental Information Resources George Washington University
- Engineering and Environmental Geology Resources ORES
- United Nations Environment Global Resource InformationUSGS
- Earthquake Information from the USGS USGS
- Latest Earthquake Information USGS
- Global Current Earthquake Information USGS
- Seismicity Maps USGS
- National Earthquake Information Center USGS
- Earthquake Hazards Research USGS
- USGS Earthquakes Page USGS
- Earthquakes and Earthquake Seismology Resources ORES
- Earthquake Record of the Day California Institute of Technology
- Center for Earthquake Research and Information University of Memphis
- Earthquake Database - Harvard University
- National Center for Earthquake Engineering Research University of NY at Buffalo
- The World-Wide Earthquake Locator University of Edinburgh, UK
- Earthquake Tutorial University of Nevada
- Seismology and Earthquakes on the World-Wide Web University of Illinois
- Southern Arizona Seismic Observatory Earthquake Activity University of Arizona
- MTU Volcanoes Page Michigan Technological University
- Web Sites of Volcanic Interest MTU
- Worldwide Volcanic Reference Map - MTU
- Recent and Ongoing Volcanic Activity MTU
- Volcanic Hazards Mitigation MTU
- Volcanoes and Volcanology Resources ORES
- Global Volcanism Program Smithsonian Institution
- WorldWide Volcanism NASA
- Terrestrial Volcanoes Los Alamos National Lab
- Volcano Information Center University of California at Santa Barbara
- Volcano World University of North Dakota
- Volcano Information and Terminology USGS
- USGS Volcanoes Page USGS
- Cascades Volcano Observatory USGS
- Mount St. Helens USGS
- Hawaiian Volcano Observatory University of Hawaii
- Alaska Volcano Observatory University of Alaska
- Volcanoes and Igneous Rocks University of Illinois
- Volcano Resources University of Houston
- Geophysics Resources ORES
- Water Resources of the United States USGS
- National Water Quality Assessment Program USGS
- Hydrology and Hydrogeology Resources ORES
Toxic and Hazardous Materials
- Toxic Substances Hydrology Program USGS
- Environmental Information on Toxic Substances USGS
- Toxic Substances Hydrology Program USGS, alternative site
- Radon Research USGS
- Mineralogy and Petrology Resources University of Houston
- Ice Ages Illinois State Museum
Structural Geology and Tectonics
- Plate Motion Calculator Japan
- Plate Tectonics, the Cause of Earthquakes
- Plates of the World University of Arizona
- Tectonic Plate Motion NASA
Stratigraphy and Sedimentation
Geology Images, Photographs, Maps, and Remote Sensing
- Satellite Images of Geological Features NASA
- Satellite Images of Volcanoes NASA
- NASA Observatorium Education Remote Sensing Basics
- NASA Remote Sensing Tutorial
- TerraServer: Find a Spot on Earth Shows satellite photos of many sites
- OhioView Consortium of Ohio institutions to promote public use of satellite imagery
- OhioView Courseware and Educational Resources
- Remote Sensing of the Global Environment Michigan Technological University
- Mount St. Helens images USGS
- National Mapping Information USGS
- National Mapping Program USGS
- Global Land Information System USGS
- Geological Photographs of U.S. National Parks Miami University
- NIH Image Home Page
- Maps and GIS University of Houston
- PaleoNet Essential professional information for paleontologists
- PaleoNet East European mirror of above
- Paleontology Resources ORES
- Paleontology on the World-Wide Web University of Illinois
- Paleontology Links Illinois State Geological Survey
- Historical Geology and Paleontology Resources University of Houston
- Phylogenetic Tree of Life University of Arizona
- Phylogeny of All Taxa University of California Museum of Paleontology
- FAQ About Paleontology University of California Museum of Paleontology
- Paleontology University of California Museum of Paleontology
- Matt's Paleo Pages Extensive website about paleontology
- Paleontology on the World Wide Web Another excellent paleo website
- Kuban's Paleo Place Another excellent paleo website
Invertebrate PaleontologyInvertebrate Fossils and Evolution
- Invertebrate Paleontology and Evolution University of Illinois
- Introduction to Porifera University of California Museum of Paleontology
- Sponge Fossils of Kentucky University of Kentucky
- Introduction to the Cnidaria University of California Museum of Paleontology
- Rugose and Tabulate Corals University of Newcastle
- Coral Fossils of Kentucky University of Kentucky
- Research on Jurassic and Other Reefs University of Stuttgart
Bryozoa (moss animals)
- Introduction to the Bryozoa University of California Museum of Paleontology
- Bryozoa Fossils of Kentucky University of Kentucky
- Recent and Fossil Bryozoa Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
- Introduction to the Brachiopoda University of California Museum of Paleontology
- Brachiopod Fossils of Kentucky University of Kentucky
- Kevin's Trilobite Home Page The ultimate source about trilobites
- The Development of Insect Flight Hooper Virtual Paleontological Museum
- Mollusc Fossils of Kentucky University of Kentucky
Arthropoda (arthropods, including trilobites)
- Introduction to the Arthropoda University of California Museum of Paleontology
- Arthropod Fossils of Kentucky University of Kentucky
- Introduction to the Echinodermata University of California Museum of Paleontology
- Introduction to the Echinodermata California Academy of Sciences
- Echinoderm Fossils of Kentucky University of Kentucky
Vertebrate PaleontologyVertebrate Fossils and Evolution
- Vertebrate Paleontology University of California Museum of Paleontology
- Fossil Record of the Vertebrates University of California Museum of Paleontology
- Peabody Museum Yale University
- Florida Museum of Natural History Vertebrates
- Fossil Vertebrates in the Burke Museum University of Washington
- Society of Vertebrate Paleontology
- Vertebrate Bibliography SVP searchable reference bibliography
- La Brea Tar Pits
Fish and Amphibians
- Mesozoic Fossil Fish University of Alberta, Canada
- Fossil Fish and Amphibians Wyoming Museum of Natural History
- Fossils Uncovered Fossil fish from the Green River Formation
- Fossil Exhibits Amphibian tracks
Mesozic Giant Reptiles
- Crocodylians University of Texas
- Plesiosaurs Blackhills Museum, SD
- Ichthyosaurs Netherlands
- Ichthyosaur with Skin Hunterian Museum, University of Glasgow
- Ichthyosaur shonisaurus University of Nevada--Las Vegas
- Dinosaurs and Vertebrate Paleontology University of Illinois
- Feathered dinosaurs
- Triassic-Jurassic Footprint Project, Amerst College, MA
- GJRA Paleo Page Dinosaur tracks at Grand Junction, CO
- Dino Track Web Site
- Utah Dinosaur Tracksites
- Dinosaur State Park Rocky Hill, CT
- Dinosaur Tracks near the Grand Canyon Tuba City, AZ
- Dinosaur Footprints University of Queensland, Australia
- Dino Trekking Web Site
Ichnology (trace fossils)
- Introduction to Ichnology: The Study of Plant & Animal Traces Emory University
- Ichnofossil Database USGS
- Ichnology Research Group, University of Alberta, Canada
- Virtual Ichnology Site Norway
Steven Schafersman of Bad Geology at infoATbadgeology.com. (Help stop spam: substitute @ for AT before mailing.) I am aware that many of these links are out of date; I will update them when possible. "Sapere Aude Dare to Know!" Last updated: 2004/01/29