THE SKEPTIC WORLD SITE
"Sapere Aude" • "Dare to Know!"
SHROUD OF TURIN
| Home | Organizations | Resources | Bad Geology | Creationism | Environmentalism | Medicine | Shroud of Turin | Theism | UFOs |
Please use http://freeinquiry.com/skeptic/shroud to access the Skeptical Shroud of Turin Website.
THE SKEPTICAL SHROUD OF TURIN WEBSITE presents the historical, artistic, scientific, and microscopic evidence that demonstrates that the Shroud of Turin is a medieval artifact and intentional forgery of the supposed First Century burial cloth of Jesus Christ. The Shroud was created by an artist to lure faithful Fourteenth Century pilgrims to visit a relic displayed for the purpose of encouraging their religious faith and soliciting their monetary offerings. This unfortunate and unethical practice continues in the Twenty-first Century. While we would do well to possess the same enthusiasm and curiosity of Fourteenth Century humans, there is no reason today to emulate their credulity.
This website will include links to (1) all skeptical resources about the Shroud of Turin on the Web, (2) links (as counter-examples) to the major pro-authenticity Shroud websites and articles, and (3) links to news stories about the Shroud that are (a) skeptical, (b) balanced, or (c) lack skepticism and all too commonly imply or explicitly promote its authenticity. This is a common problem with news stories reporting on supernatural, paranormal, and pseudoscientific topics: sensationalism--rather than skepticism--is what sells books, magazines, newspapers, and television and radio advertising. The Skeptical Shroud of Turin website was created to resist this journalistic trend--a trend that panders to public ignorance and credulity--and we wish instead to encourage careful investigation of mysterious phenomena and public education using properly-interpreted scientific and scholarly evidence.
Skeptical Websites and Articles about the Shroud of Turin
- Charles Freeman on Archaeology of the Shroud of Turin • Charles Freeman, classical scholar, historian, author
- The Shroud of Turin and the Image of Edessa: A Misguided Journey • This new investigative report, by Charles Freeman, a well-known historical scholar and recent author of a book about medieval relics, completely demolishes Ian Wilson's highly speculative and fanciful itinerary of the movement of the Shroud of Turin from Jerusalem to Edessa to Constantinople to France.
- Tetradiplon Revisited • A second scholarly essay by Freeman that questions the veracity of Ian Wilson's hypothesis that the Shroud of Turin was at one time folded four times, so just the face was visible, and was viewed and described prior to the Fourteenth Century.
- NEW! Tetradiplon - The Mystery Solved? • In a third scholarly essay, Freeman believes he has solved the mystery of the term Tetradiplon used by Shroud pro-authenticity proponents to described the presumed folding of the Shroud of Turin and used to mistakenly conflate it with the legitimately older Image of Edessa.
- The Skeptical Shroud of Turin Website • Steven Schafersman, consulting scientist, microscopist
- A French magazine said on June 21, 2005, it has carried out experiments that proves the Shroud of Turin is a fake. • Finally! Someone has recreated the Shroud using medieval methods.
- A Skeptical Response to Ray Rogers Thermochimica Acta paper on the Shroud of Turin by Steven Schafersman (February 8, 2005)
- The Shroud Re-Created by Linen Bleaching at ShadowShroud.com • Commentary by Steven Schafersman
- Walter McCrone, Debunker of Legends • The New York Times obituary, photographs of Walter, and a tribute to the late world-famous microscopist and chemical microanalyst from his colleagues. Along with many other accomplishments in microscopy, chemical microanalysis, and forensics, Walter was the person who famously first demonstrated that the Shroud of Turin was a human artifact and hoax and the Vinland Map was a forgery. All subsequent scientific investigations have supported these original conclusions, which are now widely accepted by the scientific community.
- A Skeptic's View of the Shroud of Turin: History, Iconography, Photography, Blood, Pigment, and Pollen (pdf, 7.4 MB) • Originally a PowerPoint presentation by Steven Schafersman that evaluates the Shroud of Turin from a skeptical viewpoint and proves it to be an artistic creation.
- Approfondimento Sindone • Antonio Lombatti, historian, author
- Robert E.M. Hedges • A note concerning the application of radiocarbon dating to the Turin Shroud
- Walter C. McCrone • Red ochre and vermilion on Shroud tapes?
- Niccolo Caldararo • The status of research into the authenticity of the Shroud
- Steven Schafersman • Unraveling the Shroud of Turin
- CSI The Committee for Skeptical Inquiry and CSI Senior Researcher Joe Nickell
- New "Shroud" Claims Challenged as Spurious (June 1996)
- Shroud of Turin Exhibition Renews False Claims of Authenticity (April 1998)
- Claims of Invalid “Shroud” Radiocarbon Date Cut from Whole Cloth (March 2, 2005)
- Ray Rogers Reply to Joe Nickell's article (March 2005)
- John Calvin and the Shroud of Turin (September 2009)
- Shroud of Turin Developments (December 2009)
- Shroud Debunked—Again (December 2009)
- Turin “Shroud” Called “Supernatural” (December 2011)
- McCrone Research Institute - Shroud of Turin Research • Walter McCrone
- The Reactions to McCrone's Shroud Research
- The Latest Shroud Update [with photos]
- The Shroud of Turin: Blood or Artist's Pigment?, Acc. Chem. Res. 1990, V. 23 (pdf, 19.9 MB)
- Update for the Vinland Map and the Turin Shroud
- Sticky Tape Sample Locations of the Turin Shorud
- Graph Showing the Amount of Modern Biological Contaminant Required to Raise the Date of a 36 A.D. Shroud
- The Shroud of Turin is a Forgery • Clayton Self
Skeptical Books about the Shroud of Turin
- Walter C. McCrone, 1996 • Judgement Day for the Shroud of Turin
- Joe Nickell, 1987 • Inquest on the Shroud of Turin, Updated Edition
- Harry E. Gove, 1996 • Relic, Icon or Hoax? Carbon Dating the Turin Shroud
- Antonio Lombatti, 1998 • Il Graal e la Sindone
- Approfondimento Sindone • The international journal of scholarship and science devoted to the Shroud of Turin.
- The Skeptical Inquirer • The foremost international, skeptical, scientific journal about all pseudoscientific and paranormal topics; published by CSI, which has led the way in the skeptical evaluation of the Shroud of Turin.
Skeptical Articles about the Shroud of Turin
- I See Dumb People, a well-written essay that trenchantly refutes the claims of the Rev. Father Francois Laisney, a lecturer who promotes the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin. According to the author, "It was obvious to me that the only purpose of this traveling lecture was to provide devout Christians, especially Catholics, with reasons to believe that the Shroud of Turin was the actual burial cloth of Jesus Christ. These reasons would revolve around discrediting the scientific evidence that show it is a medieval fake."
- Replies of skeptical scientists and investigators to "The Authentication of the Turin Shroud" (There is no direct link; scroll down Meacham's very pro-authenticity paper to the skeptical replies by scientists and scholars that start in the middle of the webpage.)
Balanced News Article
- Allessandra Stanley, 1998, New York Times, Power to Fascinate Intact, Turin Shroud Is Unfurled.
Non-Skeptical Pro-Authenticity Websites about the Shroud of Turin
- Shroud of Turin Website (Barrie Schwortz's website; the most comprehensive)
- Shroud Spectrum International
- British Society for the Turin Shroud
- Holy Shroud Guild
- Turin Shroud Center of Colorado (John Jackson's website)
- Council for the Study of the Shroud of Turin (CSST) (Alan and Mary Whanger's website)
- Shroud of Turin Education Project
- The "Sindone" of Turin - Official Web Site Italy (English version; English index)
- International Centre of Sindonology of Turin Italy (English version)
- Collegamento pro Sindone Italy (English version) (Gateway page to Collegamanto papers in English)
Non-Skeptical Pro-Authenticity Books about the Shroud of Turin
- Ian Wilson, 1998, The Blood and the Shroud: New Evidence that the World's Most Sacred Relic is Real
- Leoncio A. Garza-Valdes, 1999, The DNA of God?
- John C. Iannone, 1998, The Mystery of the Shroud of Turin: New Scientific Evidence
- Mark Antonacci, 1998, The Resurrection of the Shroud
- Mary and Alan Whanger, 1998, The Shroud of Turin: An Adventure of Discovery
- Thomas W. Case, 1997, The Shroud of Turin and the C14 Dating Fiasco
- Rodney Hoare, 1995, The Turin Shroud is Genuine: The Irrefutable Evidence
- Gilbert Lavoie, 1998, Unlocking the Secrets of the Shroud
- Nicolo Cinquemani, 1995, The Double Images on the Shroud of Turin
- Holger Kersten and Elmar R. Gruber, 1992, The Jesus Conspiracy: The Turin Shroud and the Truth About the Resurrection
- Ian Wilson, 1978, The Shroud of Turin
- Ian Wilson and Vernon Miller, 1986, The Mysterious Shroud
- Frederick T. Zugibe, 1982, The Cross and the Shroud: A Medical Inquiry into the Crucifixion
- Pierre Barbet, 1993 (reprinted), A Doctor at Calvary
- Rodney Hoare, 1984, A Piece of Cloth: The Turin Shroud Investigated
- Frank C. Tribbe, 1983, Portrait of Jesus: The Illustrated Story of the Shroud of Turin
- John H. Heller, 1983, Report on the Shroud of Turin
- Frank O. Adams, 1982, Sindon: A Layman's Guide to the Shroud of Turin
- Kenneth E. Stevenson and Gary R. Habermas, 1981, Verdict on the Shroud
- Kenneth E. Stevenson and Gary R. Habermas, 1990, The Shroud and the Controversy
Non-Skeptical Pro-Authenticity Articles about the Shroud of Turin
- STURP Introduction to the 1987 Examination
- STURP A Summary of STURP's Conclusions
- STURP Bibliography of Published STURP Papers
- Jack Kilmon The Shroud of Turin
- William Meacham The Authentication of the Turin Shroud: An Issue in Archaeological Epistemology
- William Meacham Radiocarbon Measurement and the Age of the Turin Shroud: Possibilities and Uncertainties
- Larry A. Schwalbe Scientific Issues and Shroud Research in the 1990's
- Paul C. Maloney Science, Archaeology, and the Shroud of Turin
Non-Skeptical Pro-Authenticity News Articles about the Shroud of Turin
- The Mission Science and the Shroud
- Time Magazine Science and the Shroud
- Jerusalem Post Local Plant Evidence Supports Authenticity of Shroud of Turin
- New Heaven New Earth The Shroud of Turin
Fanciful and Fantastic Books about the Shroud of Turin
- Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince, 1994, Turin Shroud: In Whose Image?
"Reality is what doesn't cease to exist when you stop believing in it." Contact the Skeptical Shroud of Turin Website administrator Steven Schafersman at email@example.com. Last updated: 2012 October 1